Monday, September 8, 2014

Anna's Famous Fish Tacos


Normally I don't like to brag,
but I make the BEST fish tacos.
Seriously, these fish tacos are kind of a big deal.
I probably shouldn't even be sharing the recipe,
but since it got leaked a few months ago when my 
mother-in-law shared it with family on the east coast,
I figure I may as well share it with the world.

But I should warn you,
once you try these fish tacos
you will never be happy with
any other fish tacos because
none even compare to these.

And here's why:
It's all in the sauce.
Say it with me,
"It's all in the sauce!"

The Sauce

Just stock up on everything in this picture
because you'll be making this sauce again and again.

1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
1/2 cup Sour Cream 
Juice of 1 Lime(not pictured)
1 can diced green chiles 
*or minced jalapeno if you like it hot
1 teaspoon minced capers
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper  
*adjust based on how hot you like it
Mix everything together
Chill for 30 minutes

Now for the fish, 
there are two versions.
First ask yourself,
Do I feel like being good or being really bad?

Healthy version

The healthy version is simple,
Just cut fish into strips,
*Preferably boneless, skinless Cod 
Season/marinate for 15 minutes 
*Marinade: Lime, Cumin, Additional seasoning to taste, Olive oil 
Wrap in heavy duty foil 
*Coat inside of foil packet with nonstick spray
Grill for 10 minutes until fish is cooked/flaky

Not-so-Healthy version

Beer-batter:
Combine  1 cup flour, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 
Blend 1 egg and 1 cup beer 
Quickly stir  egg/beer mixture into dry ingredients.

Dip fish into batter and deep-fry until crisp and golden brown.
Drain on paper towels.

Tortillas

I prefer these blue corn tortillas:

Fry them to make them crispy or just warm them
You can also use regular corn, flour, whole wheat, low-carb, etc...

How to assemble Fish Tacos

This may seem silly,
it is kind of a no-brainer.
So feel free to stop reading now.
But, whenever I serve these to a crowd, 
which I have done dozens of times,
this always happens:
A guest walks up to the assembly line, 
stares at the ingredients with an expression of 
bewilderment across their face and asks 
"Okay, how do I do this?"
As if they've never made a taco before in their lives!
Dear Family and Friends, I'm sorry for publicly shaming you for your lack of taco-building skills. I love you all! 

Taco-Building 101
Grab a tortilla
Sprinkle some cheese on top
Place a few pieces of fish on
Sprinkle with cabbage/coleslaw mixture
Top with a big heaping spoonful of sauce
Then add whatever else you're into:
Avocado, lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa, you name it.
I prefer to keep it simple.
Now just eat and repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment