Saturday, January 10, 2015

Without Diversity Life Would Be Bland


I wrote a mini-essay for a diversity scholarship application last night and I must have had food on the brain--I usually do.

When I think about diversity, the first thing that comes to mind is cooking. Some of the best dishes result from fusing two or more types of cuisines together; for instance “Tex-Mex” and “Korean Tacos”. Just think about how bland food would be if we never took risks by combining different flavors together. That’s how I feel about diversity. Without it, life would be bland.

My family is a fusion of a variety of cultures from all around the world.  I am proud to be a mixed race. I live in a rural community where minorities make up only a small percentage of the population. However I do not let being different cause me to feel inferior in anyway. On the contrary, I feel honored to be apart of this community as a representation of my ancestors.  As a mother, I have taught my children to embrace their diverse heritage, which is something I will encourage my students to do as well when I become a teacher.

I am grateful to be apart of Eastern Oregon University’s online campus because it allows me to be connected with such a diverse group of students and faculty. I get the opportunity to correspond with classmates from all over and each one brings their own experiences, knowledge and outlooks on the world. I take great pleasure in learning all that I can from each interaction I have via class discussion boards, peer mentoring, and group projects. I believe the diversity that exists at EOU enriches the college experience for all students, as it does in all aspects of life.

I believe diversity is crucial for humans to thrive in the world. Just like a good recipe is not created with only one ingredient. It takes a variety of flavors to come together to create a truly satisfying meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment